Home > Finding Home > Union Station

Union Station

December 28, 2005

Union Station
Union Station, Toronto

This grand and unmovable building moves people. From here they enter, board, and alight elsewhere, in places like Sault Ste. Marie, Moose Factory, and Swastika, Ontario. Everyday people find their way home.

When I am homesick for the northern woods I come here, of all places. Its open vaulted ceilings relieve me of the claustrophobia that the city can impose. It allows for deep breaths and the casting of shadows, like a forest late in the day. People move about as birds, with purpose and chatter.

It is here, so far from home, that I am most able to imagine it.

Photo and text by Trix Whipple

Categories: Finding Home Tags:
  1. December 29, 2005 at 8:04 am

Nice, very nice. And so good to see you here, Trix!

I’ve often been struck by the power of particular places to evoke vivid memories of people I used to know, and whom I otherwise wouldn’t be able to recall in such detail. I guess that’s sort of similar to what you’re describing.

2. December 29, 2005 at 8:24 am

Beautiful photo and a convincing statement. I’m still trying to find “home” places in my new city and I’m fascinating by your discovery of how the station feels. Thanks. And it’s great to see you here!

3. December 30, 2005 at 9:35 am

Thank you for helping me to find the forest in my own city! That’s precious to me and I truly appreciate it.

4. January 1, 2006 at 10:03 am

Home comes in many unexpected forms. When I was a kid growing up in Detroit, I had a spot on a pedestrian overpass, the freeway traffic whooshing below. It had the effect of a rushing river and I found a quiet, isolated space amidst the noise and crush.

5. January 1, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Ah, I appreciate the perfection in certain details of this photo. This makes me think of what places make me think of ‘home’.

6. January 2, 2006 at 8:54 pm

There’s something almost cathedral-like in this image, no? Of course, cathedrals were built to look like forests, too.

7. MB
    January 3, 2006 at 3:14 pm

I don’t readily see commonalities between urban and natural spaces, but this, so simply described, makes them vivid.

8. January 4, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Very nice, Trix. It’s lovely to see you here.

1. No trackbacks yet.