Home > Words of Power > Call for Submissions: Words of Power

Call for Submissions: Words of Power

July 29, 2009

In magic, to have said is to have done.
Eliphas Levi

Again this fall we’re taking the helm ourselves, not for want of volunteer guest editors, but because we had such a blast with last fall’s Journaling the Apocalypse issue that we resolved to do it every year if possible. The submissions period is from August 1 to August 31, and publication will begin around September 15.

This time we’re looking for words of power: curses, spells, charms, prayers, incantations, mantras, sacred scriptures, explicit performative utterances, oaths, or legal instruments. Submissions may consist entirely of such super-charged language, or may riff upon or explore such language. Submissions of visual art may of course take a more figurative approach to the topic; images of amulets and other power-objects, for example, would be welcome. But otherwise we urge contributors not to interpret the theme too broadly. Please don’t just send us a piece of writing that you think is powerful according to some subjective evaluation. We’re looking quite specifically for language freighted with mana and/or executive force, or writing about that kind of language. If you’re not sure whether something qualifies, feel free to query.

Please limit written material to no more than five items per submission, with individual pieces not exceeding 3,000 words. Please refer to the general guidelines before submitting, and note especially the recommendation to query us if we don’t acknowledge receipt within two days — occasional server hiccups and email glitches are a fact of life on the internet.

We look forward to reading your words of power with an unusual admixture of excitement and trepidation. This issue could be a real test of our editorial juju!

—Dave and Beth

Categories: Words of Power Tags:
  1. July 30, 2009 at 11:49 am

Looking forward to this one! What a great theme.

• July 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Thanks! It should be fun. I screwed up and published the post three days early, but then we thought, why not reward the regular readers with an advance warning? The message to the email list and the Facebook group will still go out on August 1 … but feel free to spread the word on your own in the meantime, if you have a mind to.

2. July 30, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Will do.

3. Kat
    July 30, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Made me think immediately of Ellen Bass’s “In Praise of Four-Letter Words.” I second Jessamyn that this is a great theme.

4. maya
    August 2, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Ok – I just wrote a note to the editors to say how amazingly cool I think Qarrtsiluni is, and then saw that I can make my comment here in public. So this is me saying it: This is the coolest on-line publication Ive come across – though I guess most people reading these pages have already figured this out. I think its fun to say the good stuff whenever I can, though, so here I am doing it. (Way too many opportunities in this world we’ve made for griping about it all…)

Truly wild behavior of the creative kind is rare and crucial. Seems like Qarrtsiluni might be just those things – rare and crucial.

Thanks Dave and Beth and may you prosper!

5. August 7, 2009 at 9:31 am

May I submit a piece as a link on my blog?

• August 7, 2009 at 9:46 am

Yes, you may submit links to material you’d like us to consider from a personal blog.

6. Joseph Harker
    August 13, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Nervously considering submission for the first time(!), just a quick question… I see in the guidelines that work posted on blogs is not considered published, but if a piece is accepted, do you prefer it be removed from the personal blog? I’ve seen that caveat elsewhere.

Also: oh my goodness the topic is superb.

• August 13, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Hi Joseph. No, we don’t require emoval of accepted material from blogs. I’m glad you like the topic!

7. August 18, 2009 at 12:44 am

First off this theme is going to be a whole lotta fun. There is so many places to go with this one.

I have a questions regarding previously published work. I read in these comments that you take work that has been posted on blogs so I assume you will take work that is posted on my website as well. Is this a correct assumption?

Many thanks and good work on this fabulous on-line publication!

1. August 1, 2009 at 11:43 am
  2. August 2, 2009 at 8:55 pm
  3. August 24, 2009 at 8:20 pm
  4. August 27, 2009 at 4:10 am
Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 481 other followers